About St Peter Players
Based in Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire, the St Peter Players began life in 1948 under the name of the Dorothy Atwell Players staging their productions at the old Kings Hall in Hampden Road. Between the years of 1958 and 1962 activities were suspended whilst the members assisted in raising funds for a new community centre. On completion, the Community Centre in Gravel Hill became the new venue for the Players, and remains so to this day.
In 1970 the Players put on a pantomime which proved so popular that the players decided to perform one every other year wherever possible.
1984 saw the players devising a separate touring road show in the style of Old Time Music Hall, which visited local villages, hospitals, schools and old peoples homes. The highlight of this venture was an invitation to appear before an audience of 950 at Watford Palace Theatre alongside the cast of ‘Hi de Hi’ for a one night charity performance.
Staging up to three plays a year in Chalfont St Peter, the Players have been keen supporters of the All England Drama Festival, performing a one act play and often winning on to the next round as well as taking home many cups for different categories.
We remain a friendly and welcoming group, with social activities such as regular theatre outings and play-readings held at the Community Centre or in Members' homes.
We also have a substantial costume store – so if you are interested in hiring costumes, call Ruth Corner on 01494 874431 to see if we can help.